Monday, October 12, 2015

The Tucson Homeskillet's Photo Ode To The 2015 Tucson Meet Yourself!



Well another Tucson Meet Yourself has come and gone. The annual gathering of arts, crafts, music, dance and, most importantly, food, in the downtown courtyard was its expected vibrant celebration of what and who we are in the Sonoran desert and has been honoring that fact since 1974.

This was my second year working the event for the Pima County Public Library but my first as the Tucson Homeskillet. So after my shift in the large tent in front of the main branch library, I set out with my trusty camera to take in all of the delicious food offerings Tucson Meet Yourself harbors (which is quite a lot which earned the yearly affair the nickname Tucson Eat Yourself) and I think I got most of them covered. I think. I hope anyway. There was a lot.

If you were lucky enough to make it this time around you know that it was unseasonally hot and jammed with folks from not just Southern Arizona, but the globe; even more so from years past. And the food! Oh...the vast amounts of vittles from all around the world was just insane this time around. Well, most years are pretty crammed with edible awesome but 2015 just hummed with a certain bodacious-ness. 

Here now is a visual guide to all the food options we had this October and, let me tell you, it just gets more and more gastro-stimulating each year. 


Enjoy...


Lines of food trucks bordering Stone Ave.



An arepa is a sort of flatbread sandwich and is crazy delicious...



Grillin' it up in the hot Arizona sun...



Yup, just like mom used to make...I mean get take out from.



$2 for chicken satay....unreal!



Werk it...



Fiamme Pizza making Neopolitan realness...



The smells from this outfit made me lightheaded it was so fragrant...



Barrio frybread galore...



Never put ketchup on a hot dog...but sriracha? I say okay...



Caribbean or Mediterranean? Tough choice...



Let me tell you, it was really hot this year, gotta stay cool...



Lining up for authentic Mexican fare...



My favorite Jamaican joint was here as well! 



Soul food and Russian cuisine sandwiched by South American goodness...



Kofte, Kepabs and Dolmas all day son...



Rolling out the dough to make gozleme...



Three for me? Yes please!



Let's see, do I want meatballs on a plate or...on a stick? Hmmm...



Its pronounced "Wa-Ha-Ka"...if you don't know, now you know.



I like how they have the Yen value as well...



"I'll have a whole pie and the cream of some young guy..."



Ssssssssssssssssmokin'!



That chicken aint gonna flip itself...



Best tamales? Yeah...they were pretty close.



Behind the scene of your favorite cuisine...



The ladies love the quiche and crepe, what can I say?



This place was billed as "World Cuisine". Umm...okay. Like, all of it?



Opa!


The food demonstrations were really fun...



My man doing chicken work...



Frizzles sizzling in the heat...



See you next year!



Camera and Typing
"Metal" Mark Whittaker
On a Hot mid-October Afternoon 2015


Metal Influence

Agoraphobic Nosebleed

No comments:

Post a Comment